The Juice Box Bully by Bob Sornson

The Juice Box Bully: Empowering Kids to Stand Up For Others - Bob Sornson, Maria Dismondy, Kim Shaw

The Juice Box Bully by Bob Sornson is a great children's book based on the topic of bullying and the ability to empower children to stand up for others. Pete is the main character and he is starting to attend a new school. His classmates are very friendly and welcoming towards him, but he responds by being mean and putting others down. The children in his class tell him that bullying is not tolerated and they all made a class promise, which stated: " We promised that in this class, no one would stand by and accept bad behavior. When someone acts hurtfully, we all speak up." Later on in the book, the reader recognizes why Pete acts the way he does. At the end, Pete decided to give the promise a try.

I would read this book starting with kindergarten through the third grade. I would read this at the beginning of the year to my students to help develop character education. By sharing this book, I would be modeling to my students how I want them to treat each other.

ATOS reading level: 4.09